SF MOMA: Media Arts Intern Summer 2018
Founded in 1935, SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast devoted to modern and contemporary art. From the outset, the museum has championed the most innovative and challenging art of its time, and continues to exhibit and collect work by both modern masters and younger, less-established artists. SFMOMA's internship program offers insight into the operations of one of the country's leading art museums and allows interns to gain valuable hands-on experience.
Currently accepting applications for Curatorial, Media Arts Summer 2018 Internship. Full-time internship M-F with start date June 11th 2018 - August 17th 2018.
The Media Arts intern will conduct in-depth exhibition and archival research for an upcoming 2020 retrospective on media artist Nam June Paik. In addition to online and library research, the intern will have the opportunity to engage directly with different departments throughout the museum via scheduled interviews, gaining diverse perspectives on the process of online art and exhibitions.
Interested candidates must be enrolled in a degree granting program (at the undergraduate or graduate level) at the time of their internship.
- Have good communication skills
- Be able to work independently, thoroughly and with attention to detail
- Have a familiarity with contemporary art, interest in media art preferred
- Experience with computer database and word processing software
- Experience with independent library research
To be considered submit the following:
- Cover letter stating the department(s) (up to three areas) you are interested in. Describe the experience you bring to these particular areas. Please also describe your potential housing arrangements.
- Statement of purpose: No more than one page, describing why you are interested in museum or nonprofit work, your reasons for applying to SFMOMA, and your goals for the internship.
- Letter of recommendation from a college professor or former employer
- College transcript: Transcripts can be unofficial, but need to be readable.
- Availability for an in-person interview in March. Skype and phone interviews will be considered for students who are abroad or far from California.